Saturday, January 7, 2012

"A Splendid Time is Guaranteed For All"


I am eagerly awaiting the January 11th, 2012, Regular Board of Aldermen meeting, I believe it will be a very revealing assembly. A fairly short agenda with an Executive Session scheduled just after roll call, this is unusual as they are generally held at the end just prior to adjourning. What this tells me is there could be some interesting twists to the evening's entertainment. I'm so excited I could just pee my pants in anticipation.

The major topic on my list is first on the agenda; the dreaded "Storm Water Utility" Tax is up for its final reading. I have railed for six years to have this ordinance failed but thanks to Bill Schuette, John Luby, Nick Guccione, and Peggy Meyer, they took it through the first two readings. It would have passed if not for a class-action lawsuit filed against MSD and the City of St. Louis for a very similar "utility." As I've written many times in the past, this is a terrible tax that would be placed on homeowners and businesses alike. Schuette's passion to get this inflicted on Wentzville residents was enormous. His "Lurchettes" did all they could do until the city attorney recommended postponing it until the lawsuit was settled. The taxpayers won, their lawsuit was successful and St. Louis has been appealing it ever since.

Almost three years has passed and those who led the charge for it to become law in Wentzville are gone from the scene except one; Alderman Nickolas Guccione. Guccione supported this ordinance through every stage of legislation and now it's back on the table for the final vote. He now faces an interesting dilemma, if he votes "YEA," as he did twice previously, he is staying true to his record and slapping Wentzville taxpayers across the face with more and higher taxes. If he votes "NAY," he's flipping on yet another issue and this one is going to be difficult to hide. It's interesting to me that both Guccione and Schuette who were most instrumental in bringing this tax forward are currently running for mayor. It is my opinion that Alderman Guccione, without the backbone of his past compadres will perform a two and a half, full twisting back flip off the high-dive and belly-flop. This vote ought to be fun.

This will also be the first public appearance of our new police Chief Ms. Lisa Harrison who came on duty January 3rd. I'm looking forward to meeting her to discuss her plans for our police department. Hearing very good things about her, I see nothing but positive signs for Wentzville's future law enforcement community.

The rest of the agenda is the usual political blatherings but I do so look forward to what I believe will be a surprise-filled evening of fun and frolic. Come on out Wednesday the 11th of January, in the words of the immortal John Lennon: "A splendid time is guaranteed for all."

2 comments:

  1. You are obviously a conservative but you quote one of the twentieth century's biggest liberals. Doesn't that make you a hipocrite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are bent on the liberal/conservative divide and that's part of today's problem but I am going to answer your question: I strongly disagree with John Lennon's political views however I do appreciate his entertainment work. If he had run for office, I would have opposed him and still listened to his music. I oppose Alderman Guccione's politics but I have no doubt that he is excellent in his occupation. I just wish he were spending more time at his job and none in city hall. If you call that hipocricy, I'm guilty.

    ReplyDelete