Friday, March 9, 2012

Questions, Questions


I was talking with a friend who had a great suggestion. He wanted to post a list of questions to the candidates here on The Wentzvillian that might be fodder for thought at "Candidates Night." After thinking about his suggestion for just a few minutes, I had to agree. Unfortunately, the Chamber of Commerce "Candidates Night," has never put candidates on the spot with hard questions. You know, the ones that get too near the truth. Let's see how this works:

1. Name one piece of original legislation you brought forth to be codified?
2. What do you believe to be your greatest accomplishment in your political career? Being elected doesn't count.
3. Can you read a balance sheet?
4. Do you believe the practice of an elected official recruiting candidates to be ethical?
5. Have you or your campaign ever filed an unfounded ethics violation against an opponent, if so, why?
6. What qualifications do you have to manage 180 employees and a city with a budget of over $80 million dollars?
7. Why do you want to be elected?
8. What would you fix in the City" Assuming something is busted.
9. What would you fix in the City? That isn't busted.
10. Is this a stepping-stone to higher political aspirations?

There's ten questions right off the top of my head, and now in this parody I'm taking the liberty to answer for the Mayor candidates; Bill Schuette and Nick Guccione.

1. (Schuette) I was close once when I tried to get the city to shovel the snow from certain peoples' driveways: (Guccione) Was I supposed to do that?
2. (Schuette) Learning that trying to get the city to shovel snow from certain peoples' driveways was against state statutes: (Guccione) Feeling important.
3. (Schuette) Is that the specification for carburetor float levels?; (Guccione) No, Yes, I mean No! Yes it's definitely No today.
4. (Schuette) It depends.; (Guccione) Of course, how else can I get the other Aldermen to talk to me?
5. (Schuette) part a-Yes. b.-I like screwing with people.; (Guccione) part a.-Yes. part b.-Donna Sherwood did it, If I'd known about it, I would have told her not to do it.
6. (Schuette) Because I want to.; (Guccione) Have you seen my home, it's beautiful!.
7. (Schuette) Because I like to dress up and party a lot.; (Guccione) This is the break I've been waiting for.
8. (Schuette) I've never had an office before but the Mayor's office in city hall isn't as cool as Chief Harrisons, so when I get elected we're switching.; (Guccione) Do I get a secretary?
9. (Schuette) If it ain't busted, I can fix that.; (Guccione) I will strive to get Mike Carter re-elected to our court, I don't think he got a fair shake last time. I have changed my mind and am for him now.
10. (Schuette) Well, if I get elected and I like it, then yeah why not.; (Guccione) This is small-time, I want to brush shoulders with Claire McCaskil, Al Franken, and Joe Biden. I did pick a winner when I voted for Barack Obama, I think that qualifies me to aspire to loftier positions!

I'd like to see some questions from my readers, post them here and make sure you go to the Candidates Night event to ask the candidates.

On the campaign trail: Here's a news flash: As we all know, Guccione is a great whiner and complainer, as noted in the February 8th board meeting when he whined; "People are moving my signs, I have them on tape." Horse pucky, tell us another one. I know the games Guccione and Sherwood play, they use the "poor me" crap in an effort to appeal to those who would feel sorry for them. They've even gone so far as doing minor damage to their own homes and blaming political opponents trying to get the "poor me" vote.

Well this week they got caught red-handed by one of Gucciones opponents. It seems that his crews are following other candidates into various subdivisions and removing their literature from citizens doors. I had forgotten about that bit of sneaky crap they pull. When confronted by Darrel Lackey about it Guccione said; "I didn't know anything about that." He didn't deny they were doing it he merely said he didn't know they were doing it. Meadow muffins! Nick, you ordered it and condoned it. C'mon, do you really think that anyone is really going to believe that you and Sherwood don't use that silly shit stunt regularly? Anytime you hear them complain about something it's because they're already doing it to others candidates. It's like I've always said, Guccione and Sherwood can't win on their merits, or rather their lack of.

A warning to anyone opposing Guccione or Sherwood: When you walk the streets of Ward 2, or anywhere in the city, keep an eye over your shoulder, Nick and Donna are more than likely watching to take your literature.

12 comments:

  1. I told you, Sherwood and Tricky Nick are truly messed up. Watch for more exciting stunts from this hapless crew of crooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morals and values don't matter as long as you win, Come on every one knows that. I'm going to a lot of good once I win. That will make up for all the bad I did along the way. Get with the times, its ok to lie, cheat, and seal as along as your doing it for the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your vision for the City? 5yr plan and 10yr plan??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm preparing cards with hard questions for the mayor and aldermen candidates. I know they won't let me put more than one or two in so I have lots of good friends of Wentzville who have volunteered to help with this situation. Perhaps some of them will be asked. Guccione, Schuette and Sherwood need to be pinned down on who the hell they really are and what better way to do it than in public and on radio?

      Delete
  4. Why not ask Slick Billy and Little Nicky to respond to some of the issues you have brought up the past several posts? I imagine we the people of Wentzville would like to hear their side of the story?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are Schuette, Sherwood and Guccione still in high school? I think they are trying to divert the voters attention from the real issues and real candidates who can deal with those issues. They really need to grow up. Is there no end to their self embarrassment?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not use each candidate's website to formulate the questions? Unfortunately, Bill Schuette and Darrel Lackey do not have websites, so we're limited to analyzing Leon Tow and Nick Guiccione.

    Here are Leon's promises and my comments:
    "My administration will be proactive and diversified in matters of economic development, working toward creating jobs while maintaining those we currently have." THIS SOUNDS REASONABLE AND POSSIBLE

    "I will work with the Board of Aldermen and direct staff to improve services and lower costs and taxes." THIS PROVIDES STAFF WITH CLEAR DIRECTION.

    "As Mayor I will work with the Board of Aldermen and staff to improve traffic flow throughout our city." THIS PROVIDES STAFF WITH CLEAR DIRECTION.

    "I will fight to protect open spaces and develop parks that enhance the quality of life for all citizens." THIS IS A CLEAR STATEMENT OF THE CANDIDATE'S INTENT.

    "I will actively continue revitalization of our historic downtown." THIS IS A CLEAR STATEMENT. DETAILS MIGHT PROVIDE ADDITIONAL CREDIBILITY.

    "As Mayor I will improve communication with citizens, businesses, staff, and the Board of Aldermen." THIS IS A CLEAR STATEMENT OF THE CANDIDATE'S INTENT.

    "I will work toward optimizing our resources to create a more economically efficient city staff and government." AGAIN, THIS IS A CLEAR STATEMENT.

    "Being an active member of the Green Lantern Support Committee, I have first hand knowledge of some of the needs of our senior citizens. I will work diligently to help meet those needs." THIS STATEMENT IS AMBIGUOUS, BUT THE RESIDENTS OF THE GREEN LANTERN ARE IN THE BEST POSITION TO JUDGE THIS COMMENT.

    Now, here are Nick Guiccione's promises:
    "Demand Honesty, Integrity & Accountability" WHO CAN OPPOSE THIS STATEMENT?

    "Institute Sound Fiscal Policies & Controls" UNLESS THE MAYOR HAS A STRONG ACCOUNTING BACKGROUND, HOW CAN HE INSTITUTE SOUND POLICIES AND CONTROLS? THIS IS A "FEEL GOOD" STATEMENT BETTER LEFT TO THE CITY ADMINISTRATOR, FINANCE DIRECTOR, AND THE WENTZVILLE'S OUTSIDE AUDIT FIRM.

    "Enforce a Balanced Budget" AREN'T ALL CITIES REQUIRED TO ENFORCE A BALANCED BUDGET?

    "Work to Roll Back Taxes So Everyone Benefits from Growth" ARE TAXES TOO HIGH BECAUSE OF GROWTH? AND, WHO HAS NOT BENEFITED FROM GROWTH? ALSO, "WORK TO" IS A WEAK PROMISE, OR IS IT A PROMISE?

    "Promote Smart Growth That Protects Property Values" I DON'T KNOW THE DEFINITION OF "SMART GROWTH." ANYTHING "SMART" SHOULD BE SUPPORTED, RIGHT?

    "Build on the Success of GM" I PRESUME THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR IS WORKING ON THIS.

    "Support Continued Downtown Redevelopment" THIS IS A CLEAR STATEMENT.

    "Keep Our Community Safe From Crime" WHO WANTS AN UNSAFE COMMUNITY? DOES A PROBLEM EXIST NOW? THIS IS JUST POLITICAL "BOILERPLATE."

    "Support Senior Assistant Programs" WHAT'S THIS, A TYPO? I ASSUME "ASSISTANT" SHOULD BE "ASSISTANCE." ATTENTION TO DETAIL MIGHT BE NICE. THIS TYPO HAS BEEN ON HIS SITE FOR WEEKS!!! OR, MAYBE EVERY SENIOR IN WENTZVILLE NEEDS AN ASSISTANT!!!

    "Keep Our City & Parks Clean & Green" AGAIN, "BOILERPLATE"... WHO SUPPORTS DIRTY PARKS, AND DOES A PROBLEM EXIST NOW?

    "Keep Our Tax Dollars at Home By Using Local Vendors Whenever Possible" SOUNDS GOOD

    I'LL OFFER NO COMMENTS ON WHICH CANDIDATE IS PANDERING...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why would a serious candidate run for Mayor without a website? Are Bill and Darrel making a serious effort? I suspect they are the spoilers. Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darrel Lackey has a website it is; Darrel4mayor.com

      As far as Schuette goes, I heard that he called his old supporters and found that they were no longer interested in his candidicy. Given that, he may not campaign, but you never know about him.

      Delete
  8. How do these sneaky politicians like Guccione stay in office for 5 years?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I will work toward optimizing our resources to create a more economically efficient city staff and government." AGAIN, THIS IS A CLEAR STATEMENT.

    What is toward?

    ReplyDelete