Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Epiphany


Last nights "Special Meeting" was as expected—fairly boring. There were a few moments of flimsy interest between naps and even though the aldermen discussed subjects of great significance to the city, it had been a long day. It was like listening to someone read columns of large numbers but instead all you hear is an angelic breathy-voice singing "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur..." That dream goes on until the person next to you pokes you in the ribs with his elbow because the snoring was getting loud (thank you Sir Cumference). The struggle to stay awake lasted until the "Work Session" portion of the meeting.

Before I get into the meeting, I'd like to take a moment to talk a little about Mayor Lambi. He has always been an excellent orator and a  very good representative of Wentzville. I watched him conduct the meeting and admired his ability to communicate, keep decorum, and his knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order. Regardless of the outcome of his current troubles, he was good for Wentzville. I sat there thinking of our next Mayor and how they would carry out the business of the city.

Image is a very important aspect of being mayor, how we are perceived by the outside world is crucial to a progressive city such as Wentzville. The election to be held next month is unique to Wentzville, it will be the first time a Mayor is to be elected for a four-year term. Throughout the history of Wentzville, there have been numerous one-term (two-year) mayors, who were dumped for one reason or another. Today, we don't have the option of eliminating a dysfunctional mayor after his first two-year term. When you go to the polls to elect either Leon Tow or Darrel Lackey you can be sure you have chosen a mayor with the experience and knowledge to lead our city for the next four years.

There was one humorous thing happen during the "Staff Reports" when the board was addressed by Chief Harrison and purchasing manager; Jerry Hillin. The topic of discussion was city-wide uniformity of employee  uniforms. Hillin spoke of cost saving ideas such as; returning uniforms for replacement rather than allowing employees a set amount they can spend on uniforms each year. He went on to cite the example: "Some employees are required to wear steel-toed boots in the performance of their duties and are allowed $150 per year for the boots." He stated that many of those employees at higher levels don't wear out the boots at the same rate as those who are in the trenches and he suggests; "If the employees were required to turn in their old boots when requesting new ones, it could have a cost-savings for the city."

Hillin went on to talk about jeans and other apparel and a policy that was written in 2009 presented to City Administrator Dianna Wright. He said: "Some employee(s) went out and bought pink headbands and pink socks with their uniform allowance, after that, the policy was thrown out prior to getting Board approval." I never caught the connection between the policy and pink socks but there must be some for Wright to can it.

The board and staff discussed this matter for what seemed like hours when Alderman Nick Guccione had an epiphany, he asked of Hillin; "Why don't you make the employees turn in their old boots before getting new ones?" A great suggestion, so insightful, I wonder why Hillin didn't think of it. At one point in the "Work Session" Guccione wanted to make a motion, Mayor Lambi had to tell him that no decisions or votes are taken in "Work Sessions," we don't set policy or legislate, making a motion is out of order.  My question here is; why after five years on the Board of Aldermen he doesn't know governmental procedure? Remember; this alderman is the one who is running for mayor. It appears, not only is he  indecisive and a poor communicator, his focus and attention to matters at hand may be somewhat impaired.

11 comments:

  1. why do you always put Tow's name before Lackeys', are you supporting him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candidates are listed by order of filing. Tow filed on the first day of filing and Lackey filed on the final day.

    The Wentzvillian opposes only Bill Schuette and Nick Guccione because of their conspiracy based political practices, motives, and views. Also, those candidates recruited to run for Alderman by any Mayor or other candidate to gain support for their agenda. Nick Guccione has recruited at least four candidates to run in Wentxville's three wards. In my book, that's unethical and conspiratorial because he cannot win on his own merits or wants to control the Board of Aldermen. Any way you look at it, it's bad news for Wentzville.

    I have identified those candidates participating in the recruitment process by scratching a line through their names. It must be remembered that none of these candidates had the slightest inkling of running for office until Guccione recruited them. In addition, he made a promise to the two recruits running in Ward three that if either of them Beat Rick Stokes, he would appoint the other one to his vacated Alderman seat should he become Mayor. Ward three is my registered voting ward, I don't agree with his politics and do not like him medling in the election and attempting to propagate his style of lunacy, especially my ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess since Sonya Shryock has been pushed to run by Leon Tow, Rick Stokes and Chris Gard (her words not mine) she should be struck out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard that, I will ask her and the others too.

      Delete
    2. Sonya Shryock was originally recruited by the Sherwood/Guccione team and worked on their campaign. When she found out about their underhanded political tactics she had it out with Guccione and defected to the other side to work on Tow and Stokes' campaign.

      Disagreeing with Sherwood's basic political platform and schemes, she realized that she did not want to be connected with or represented by Sherwood in Ward 2, she decided to run against her.

      Shryock is not the only person to defect from the Guccione/Sherwood camp. Jeremy Pritchett also left for similar reasong to run against Sherwood. I can name several others who switched from the Dark Side but since they are private citizens, they will be left out of this discussion.

      The bottom line; there is something rotten in the Guccione/Sherwood camp and it is obvious to thinking people

      Delete
    3. I would like to answer the above question concerning me.
      1. I didn't meet Leon Tow or Rick Stokes until about a month after signing up to run for Alderman.
      2. I only met Chris Gard about a year ago when he was running for Alderman in ward 2. I am voter in ward 2.
      3. When I have concerns about how my tax dollars are being spent, I don't go to city hall and throw a fit, I call my Alderman to discuss the issues.
      4) I am not working for or against anybody. To my knowledge I have no enemies and would like to keep it that way, as I feel it is the best way to serve ward 2 , not take sides and be able to get along with everyone.

      In a conversation with my current alderman concerning keeping our tax dollars and jobs local and how in doing this we could keep our community strong, he said to me Sonya the election for ward 2 is coming up you might consider running because we need people who are passionate about this city, passionate for people and jobs and will help economic growth in a smart fashion. I prayed about it and felt like I had to try to help. 3 weeks later I signed up to run for Alderman of ward 2.

      I would like to ask all your readers to help support my cause to keep tax dollars and jobs local so we can support our neighbors and keep them working.
      To the above person who said those were my words , I would ask you to please not do that. I am certain I would show you the same courtesy.

      Sincerely,

      Sonya Shryock

      Delete
  4. I think by now you have proven your dislike for Nick Guccione and your support for Leon Tow and Darrel Lacky. Has everyone forgotten that Darrel Lacky cost the city several hundreds of thousand dollars when he was Mayor. You talk about public record and proven what Nick has or has not done for the city or your ward, but with Darrel in office you won't have to worry about the competence of the board to spend city money wisely as the lawyers for those who file law suits will get to make that decision for us. Also you speak of special interest groups that Nick has ties to. Please notify your audience of the 360 Leon Tow did with the HBA. The old Leon that stood up for what is right has gone by the way side for the sake of a special interest group. Be Fair and get the truth on each of them. The residence deserve to know that not a one of them are good for the city, but just as in any election you are forced to choose the better of the evil(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do we really know that darrel cost the city anything? I've googled the events and have never seen a public settlement. You have reference that he has cost the city $. I would love to see your sources. Please share or shut up about it please. Also he was never found guilty of anything was he?

      Delete
    2. darrel lackey was on the receiving end of one of the dirtiest campaigns ever. he was completely exhonerated and those starting all of it slithered back into their caves. the facts can't be refuted.

      Delete
  5. You are correct about my support of Leon Tow and/or Darrel Lackey. I think you misunderstand my reporting on Nick Guccione, I do not dislike him, I am in reality appaulled by his ethics, politics, and lack of representation. I do not discriminate, I feel the same about Bill Schuette. It amazes me how people like you equate; disagreement with one's politics as actually a dislike of the person. I hope your not thinking I'm going to stop making an accounting of his antics or record because, it ain't happnin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One only has to do a little impartial research to discern that both Guccione and Schuette are far from qualified or educated (both) to have positions of policy making in a municipality of the magnitude that Wentzville has become.

    Wentzville needs more diplomatic, sophisticated leadership than what these two can provide.

    While I don't adhere to either Tow's or Lackey's politics completely, I at least know they have the intelligence and political savvy to mostly do well.

    ReplyDelete