Monday, April 1, 2013

1 Day to the Election


Tomorrow, we all go to the polls to choose how our government will operate for the coming year. Whether we want to have people of good character or people who don't, it's our civic duty to go to the polls and cast our vote. In last year's election 58 percent of those who voted agreed with me that we didn't want Nickolas Guccione to take charge of the highest office in the City of Wentzville. Out of a population of 29,070 only 2,888 people voted—and over four times that number are of voting age. In my opinion, citizens have been lied to so much their perception is that the government is crooked and they feel their vote doesn't matter.

Many cities assist non-registered citizens with the registration process by hosting a registration day in a city facility to educate and register voters. Does Wentzville host such an event, if so I am unaware of it? I believe our City should take a proactive stance on voter registration to enroll those citizens who could and should be voting. Then the next time I hear candidates crying about low voter turnout at least they can say, "We tried."

I have seen elections in Wentzville for a Mayoral race that were decided by seven votes and Aldermanic elections by less. At the State and Federal level perhaps people could say their vote doesn't count, but here it counts. Unfortunately, when we don't vote at this level and people with questionable ethics and morals are ensconced in Wentzville Government it can have a negative effect on higher levels of government in the futuree.g. The first time I met Nickolas Guccione I was reporting for a local magazine and he was running for his first term as an Alderman.  During the interview I asked about his political future and he told me that he wanted to go on to be mayor and after that into state politics. He's reached his second plateau with designs toward state government, unless of course he can get the board to call for a full-time mayor in which case he may retire in his current position. So right here in Wentzville we've allowed the dirtiest politician in recent history an opportunity to grease his way into a place where many say their vote doesn't count. Wentzville needs to be very careful about who it elects.

Cheryl Kross has four years of conservative leadership on the Board of Aldermen. In the opinion of The Wentzvillian, she has earned a third term. If I could vote for Alderman Cheryl Kross, I would.

Ward 1
Cheryl Kross

I hope every registered voter goes to the polls tomorrow to cast their vote for the candidate of their choice. I have respect for anyone who votes, even if it's for a candidate with whom I disagree. When I hear people bitching about our Aldermen, Mayor, or Municipal Judge and then find out they didn't vote, I dislike them as much or more than the greasy politician they allowed to be elected. I will vote and will be working the polls for Darrel Lackey. I believe he will be the best man to represent me in Ward 3 and I'm casting my vote for Darrel Lackey.

Ward 3
Darrel Lackey

There isn't much I can say about the Municipal Judge that I haven't said, but I am extremely interested in seeing Judge Steve Martin re-elected. His opponent Michael Carter is working hard at getting elected by bombarding our mailboxes with literature and working the streets. He even used a Christian Holiday to pander for votes, pretty sick. If elected, Carter will do the same thing he did before, alienate our police force and destroy the Judicial budget. Carter, you may remember, hit all the newspapers a couple years ago being arrested for a DUI but not convicted. The Wentzvillian is supporting Judge Steve Martin a man of high moral and ethical standards for re-election. I will be casting my vote for Steve Martin.

Municipal Judge
Steve Martin

Once again, I hope all of you vote tomorrow, and maybe I'll see you at the polls.


No comments:

Post a Comment