Monday, February 6, 2012

Business License Discussion


Once again The Wentzvillian is forced to address the business license fee. It was a vulgar display of money-grubbing when it was increased from $10 to $50 in 2005 and remains that way today! At that time, no government entity in St. Charles County assessed  a base fee that high, and since that time other cities have seen that Wentzville got away with  it and followed suit.  Until Leon Tow, saw Cheryl Kross, Rick Stokes, and Chris Gard get elected, it was Lambi and the Lurchettes and this bueracracy's goal to fatten the coffers any way it could.  At the February 8th Board of Alderman meeting (at the request of Cheryl Kross) there will be a discussion to either eliminate or amend it, As long as they address the small- and micro-businesses when making a decision, I'm fine with it.

After examining the agenda packet and looking at the twenty-page justification (I mean) presentation given to the aldermen, I'm disappointed. Under; "Benefits" and "Reasons For (pro) to continue current processes" I found 19 reasons; under "Reasons against (con) to remove or amend the current process" I find two. C'mon guys, I know that the bureaucracy doesn't want to let any money go that they are banking every year, but don't you think you can find more than two reasons against it? As a business owner, I can think of half-a-dozen right off the top of my head but I guess being in civil service one doesn't understand the trials of business owners.

I have more than a few problems with this report, it is misleading at best, and I don't believe it represents the real truth. Among the boiler-plate justifications, copies of the forms, and ordinance, I found the "Municipality Comparison" chart interesting. Where are the many cities that have smaller, or no fees for business licenses? Not a single city on this list is less than ours and many of those excluded have a comparable population. I noticed on the list that St. Charles County has no business license required, is this an over-sight or does it mean that I don't have to pay my County business license fee any more?

Now I'm looking at the page titled: "Estimated Cost to process Business Licenses.) Item 8, states; "Administrating cost for purchasing supplies..." does that include purchasing the supplies or just sending an employee out to Office Max to pick them up? I thought they delivered but what do I know about business? My point is; cost of supplies (envelopes, paper, letterhead, and special paper) is listed in three of the other items, but that's not the thing that really upsets me, it's the cost of the listed items. Using the numbers they provided in instances where they list the item, give an hourly rate, and the estimated hours (such as police officers to call and/or visit businesses that don't get their new license on time), they base the cost on 600 businesses rather than the 54 that didn't comply. Compliance with the law is covered in two of the listed items. Why are businesses that do comply with the ordinance made to pay for tracking down those who violate the ordinance? It seems that it's only justice to make them pay for the time it takes to do what is required by the city.

If the City is going to have a business license, it should be fairly administered and based on revenues not a flat fee. I don't understand how Wal*Mart pays the same as a small business that doesn't even gross one percent of their receipts. Every small business owner in Wentzville should be at this meeting Wednesday evening, besides you might get to watch the filming of Donna Sherwoods biweekly photo-op!

1 comment:

  1. i'm going to be there tonight. i've never seen donna sherwood in person, only on video. i also want to watch guccione to see if he talks about anything at all.

    ReplyDelete