Thursday, February 21, 2013

Are We Keeping You Up?


Looking at the Work Session agenda of February 20, 2013 (click here for video) it really didn't appear to be very exciting, but it emphasised many of the things I've been harping on about Mayor Nickolas Guccione for the last two years. Guccione was disengaged and other than for a few brief moments never opened his mouth other than to yawn, which was frequently. After the meeting a  reporter from a local publication asked me what I got from the meeting. I told the reporter that I took two pages of notes but not being a reporter myself I look for a lot different content than you would. The reporter did make the following comment without solicitation; "Guccione didn't say much," to which I responded; "that kinda sums up the job performance of our current mayor."

I'm going to start with the Work Session Topic List. There were a total of 24 items on the list and one of them will ring loud with the village center businesses and residents; "Honorary Street Names." It's interesting to note that this topic is the only item on the list not to have anyone listed in the "Requested By" column, or a "Date Received." This item is different than the "Renaming Streets" subject brought forward by Mayor Guccione a few months ago. That topic incited such an uproar of the citizens and business community that it was decided by the board to write a policy which will protect our historic street names.

Memorializing our historic street names has Mayor Guccione out on a limb with a saw in his hand sawing as fast as his Wile Coyote arms can move. Twice, Alderman Stokes asked for ownership of this item and twice Guccione ignored him. At 2:38 into the meeting Guccione said "Do you want to talk about Honorary Street Names?" He brought it up, he is the one pushing for it and if you watch the video starting at 2:51 I think you'll see that Mayor Guccione wants this to happen. He won't take credit for placing it on the Work Session Topic List but he got it on the agenda of March 13th as a discussion item.

Mayor Guccione has been out on the streets bad-mouthing Alderman Cheryl Kross because she's running for reelection against one of his boys. He's tried saddling her with the Street Renaming change disaster and now he wants her to take credit for the Memorial Street Name crap. In my opinion, if the Aldermen want to put ownership where it belongs, they can do it publicly. When it comes up on the March 13th agenda and Guccione asks for discussion, they need to ask him for his recommendation. There's where Guccione will need to make a decision; either break his promise to his friend or piss off everyone in the downtown area. If he doesn't want to take a stand then it's time for the "Board of Crickets" to sing their lonely song, chirrup. chirrup, chirrup.

I'm tired of Guccione's political agenda and believe the Aldermen need to let him stand or fall on his items of discussion. There was more from last night but I wrote more than I wanted today, the thought of the mayor yawning all last night has me longing for a nap. I'll probably be back tomorrow if I wake up.

2 comments:

  1. According to the video, Mayor Guccione said, "I think we need to make a policy allowing for honotary street names in case someone in the future wants to do it. I'm not saying someone will but..."

    It appears that if someone in the future wants to do it they could make a policy then. It looks to me like you are correct, Mayor Guccione is pressing this issue.

    ReplyDelete