Thursday, September 12, 2013

The King's New Clothes

 
The Wentzvillian has a reader who goes by the name; "Meat Grinder," and on August 16, 2013, he/she posted a comment on Got Ho-Lotta-Mo (click here) that I thought fitting to begin this post: 
 
Thursday I stopped by city hall to pick up information. City staff was well dressed in business attire, very professional in appearance. There was your strong and capable mayor in a tee shirt and jeans wearing a ball cap sitting at his desk. I asked a city worker were jeans allowed and the reply was on Fridays only. I guess the strong and capable leader missed that memo. I will return to city hall in 2 weeks on a Thursday and can't wait to see if he finally read the memo.

Before I get started, I hope no one other than Wentzville people watched the video of last night's Board of Aldermen meeting, but I hope the voting residents watch it twice. The reason: Mayor Nickolas Guccione trotted out his new GQ look for on-the-rise urban politico's, and in the opinion of this writer, he was an embarrassment to our fair city.

In Guccione's first year as mayor, I thought he dressed quite dapper, as a matter of fact, I was impressed by his fashion sense, I should have known it wouldn't last. Now I'm wondering if who ever has been dressing him every morning overslept, and King Nickolas snuck out before the morning inspection. He was wearing all black; pants and t-shirt, the only visible color was a large red tattoo on his right shoulder. At first I thought it might be a pack of Luckies rolled up in his sleeve, but it was indeed a tattoo. Honest to God, if he had a beer in his hand, I'd have sworn we were in some sleazy bar.

The staff was very well dressed; the ladies wore slacks and nice blouse, one even wore a business suit, very professional; the men all wore either a suit, or sports coat and tie, again very business like. The same went for the aldermen; the ladies wore skirts or slacks and business-like blouses; two of the men wore suits (I can't help admiring Alderman Gard's stylish suits, very cool), and the other two wore open collar white dress shirts but at least Alderman Stokes wore a suit coat. All-in-all, a pretty snazzy looking group.

Now we get to our mayor; in all the years I've been watching Wentzville politics, I have never seen a mayor dressed like a slob while conducting city business from the dais. I've seen an alderman do it on occasion but never a mayor, by the way, that alderman only lasted one term. I've seen Guccione slobbing around town, and even at his home, and that's fine, but I never in my wildest dreams ever thought he would disrespect the office of mayor and shame his constituents by wearing a black t-shirt and displaying his body-art on international TV. Anyone from anywhere, watching last night's video must be thinking that Wentzville is full of inbred hillbillies.

It's bad enough that every time he opens his mouth and mumbles something, or attempts to read a  bill or resolution, it's like watching a third-grader running the city. Speaking of third-grade, didn't all of us learn how to read Roman numerals in grade-school? At least I know I did. It's a sad state of affairs when a mayor tries to read a bill or public hearing and stumbles over the first Roman numeral he comes to so badly that he utters; "I can't read Roman numerals." So what does he do? Every time he comes to one, he skips over it, he doesn't even try to read it. Guccione is the man we elected to safeguard taxpayers money. To put us at ease that our budget is sound and that our city finances are in good hands. I'm not getting a real warm and gooey feeling here! God, I pray there are no Roman numerals on balance sheets.

I'm going to end here but I promise to come back and talk about last night's six hour and ten minute Board of Aldermen meeting which mostly had to do with finances and budget. It was a treat! I'm sorry I got so side-tracked with fashion but I was really embarrassed for our city last night. I'll try not to talk any more about King Nickolas' new clothes.

 

5 comments:

  1. why would a mayor dress like that in a public meeting? he represents the city and an embarrassment to everyone living here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was wearing his work clothes from a job in 'Jersey for the goodfellas most likely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you had mentioned the mayor's initiatives brought up last Wednesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wentzvillian: I want to apologize to the City's directors for the arrogance of alderman kross and shryock. The purchasing director was in disbelief when he heard these 2 aldermen should be interviewing the applicates for his position. Really? Our city has a director with a masters degree, decades of experience and has turned our city inside out for the betterment of all. Here we have 2 aldermen with maybe high school diplomas and no experience and they as aldermen think they have the expertise. The aldermen are an embarrassment to our city and the surrounding community. I have many friends in wentzville and before the next election my friends will no of this disrespect toward our city directors and staff. Wentzvillian please share with your readers. This issue can not be ignored and our elected officials need to get off their almighty. Thank goodness we have great aldermen like Hays, Gard and Stokes who are respectful and professional. they are the leadership in our city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the year rolling to an end what were the goals of all the aldermen and to what extent did they met or exceed those goals. The mayor's goals are paramount to effective management of the city and the aldermen should support those goals if they were agreed to at the beginning of the year. It is pure folly not to have congruency in goals. Can we get a list of alderman goals and what has been accomplished?
    We would appreciate if the Wentzvillian could do some interviewing of our city leadership.

    ReplyDelete