Thursday, August 22, 2013

Bust My Britches, They Actually Did It!

 
I probably should digest what took place at last night's Board of Alderman meeting for a few days, but I think fun times are ahead and I couldn't wait to give you my take on it right now. I still cannot believe what happened simply because its ramifications are so staggering. Mayor Nickolas Guccione, our Mayor Nickolas Guccione, the one who's most challenging task of the day is counting how many chicken parts to put in each package, is going to be serving a dual role to include that of City Administrator.
 
You heard me right, Guccione will now be responsible for everything. Alderman of Ward 1, Chris Gard suggested it and it got enough support from the board that it happened. When the aldermen discussed his new role Guccione said he could handle it, but as talks turned to duties he started back-peddling. "I'm only here one day a week, but I come here every evening." So here's the story; we now have a full-time mayor who only works one day a week, doesn't that sounds exciting!
 
It is my belief that Guccione wanted to be Mayor and Interim City Administrator with the fat paycheck that comes with it, but—and this is a big BUT—he will only get his mayor's salary which is somewhere in the range of $14-$15K a year, which some believe to be too much. That's a real let down for Guccione, four times the work at a tenth of the rate, but it's a real good deal for the city (if it works out). I'll go out on a limb here and say; Nickolas Guccione is the lowest paid City Administrator in the history of Wentzville!
 
Guccione's bubble burst when the City Attorney, Paul Rost said: "According to statute, being a 4th class city, you cannot hold both jobs at once. If you were to take the interim City Administrator job (with the fat-fat paycheck), you would have to resign from office, and visa-versa." So now he has the responsibility of being mayor with all the work and responsibility of a City Administrator piled on. Mayor Guccione is a much better man than I ever gave him credit for because he's going to do all of this in one day a week (and evenings of course), Bravo Mayor Nickolas, you are truly the King of Wentzville!
 
The Aldermen, as I, have confidence that our city directors will step up and keep the day-to-day functions of the city going. They are intelligent, capable, and highly-educated in their various fields. The problem I see is the day-to-day interface between them with their City Administrator who will be cutting and packaging chickens four days every week, where will they go to get answers or decisions? This is going to be interesting to watch.
 
I smell disaster for the city and I don't know how it can function when Guccione has to make snap-decisions...right now. It ain't happenin'. Are the aldermen setting him up, knowing that he can't possibly do the job? What happens if he screws something up? I know that employees don't like working with (or under) him, that may be why he can't get any of the Directors to take the interim job. They don't want him messing up and blaming them, he is famous for excuses and always has a fall-guy. You watch, when he blunders he will use his famous, "I didn't do it," or "I didn't know, nobody told me." And now he can use the old: "Hey, I'm doing two jobs here some things are going to fall through the crack." A note to staff: Gird your loins, you're about to get something you really, really don't want!

I'll be watching more closely now than I ever did to make sure the blame goes where it belongs. After all, he said he could do it. When things start to go south in our city, I'll make sure you get it first.
 
 

12 comments:

  1. This is getting goofier and goofier. I wonder what other cities are saying about what's going on in Wentzville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can the Mayor do both jobs, I can't believe it's possible for anyone to do both jobs working only one day per week. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched Gooch from the time he first ran for election almost seven years ago, I even secretly worked on several of his campaigns as a mole for the good guys. In all that time he's rolled over on people in his campaigns and employees at city hall, the body count is rolling up.

    Perhaps his most famous was the city administrator, Dianna Wright, he was instrumental in cutting her throat,another was Doug Smith, Public Works Director. Due to Gooch's lack of direction, Smith found himself in the unemployment line through no fault of his own. Somebody had to take responsibility and it wasn't going to be Gooch.

    This guy would back-door his grandma if it meant keeping suspicion from himself. I perfectly understand why he can't get anyone to be the interim CA, few trust him, and fewer want to work directly for him in a position of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Mayor is smarter than this ridiculous blog gives him credit. He will handle being Mayor and City Administrator seamlessly. I'm glad we have a man like Nick in there who is not afraid of stepping in to do the tough jobs. Tough problems don't last long, but tough people last forever, Mayor Nick is tough! He will show those dirty aldermen how to get city business done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's not kid ourselves. Nic has four talents:
      1. He knows how to get elected.
      2. He has a good work ethic.
      3. He's a good family man.
      4. He has an ability to cut meat.

      I think that covers it.

      Delete
    2. It's too bad that his campaign ethic doesn't match, or even come close to his "work ethic."

      Delete
    3. LOL! Are you for real?

      Delete
  5. Is the Mayor Brian Spencer's shadow or is Spencer shadowing him to learn from the Mayor. Could be our fine leader has higher aspirations than this city has to offer. He is a master of political manipulations and serving on the legislature would be a good stepping stone for him to help the state even more than this city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the hell he'd go, anything, just get him out of Wentzville.

      Delete
  6. Wentzvillian if what I heard is true you haven't seen anything yet. While enjoying the Wabash festivities I heard September may be eventful. I do have a question for the Wentzvillian. Last week while in town I saw your Mayor and alderman shyrock having lunch together. Are they teaming up together to lead your city? I thought they were enemies.

    While in town I heard another upper level employee has departed the city. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your questions are valid but I'm not sure I can answer them just now. I do know that things may get exciting in September but I'm not going to show all of my cards right now.

      Regarding Alderman Shryock, I had heard what you said about them having lunch last week and I knew about it. Shryock as you know is looking at an election that may be difficult to win and I know she is nervous about her chances. If I had to speculate I'd say she was trying to find out who Guccione was putting up against her. Maybe even making a connection with him that they never had in an effort to dissuade him from opposing her. I won't speculate about her motives to include "teaming up to lead your city."

      At this time I know of only one high level employee leaving; Larry Tucker. There was a lead engineer who was crucial to the Heartland Park project who turned in his resignation, but I know of no Manager level or above leaving.

      Delete
    2. I have just heard about a second engineer leaving the city. I believe it was the one who was heading up the Splash Station.

      Delete