Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"Irreconcilable Differences"


The rumors about the possible departure (under unfavorable terms) of Wentzville's City Administrator, Dianna Wright, have come true. I've held off on this until now to gather as many facts as I could, so here goes: The rumors of her demise started in 2009 and was (unfortunately) spread citywide by then ex-Alderman John Luby when he walked into a meeting in town and interrupted the proceedings by expressing publicly his disappointment in hearing the rumor that she was to be fired. Prior to that I had heard it but didn't give it undo credibility, of course, I may be giving undo credibility to an ex-Alderman's knowledge, but since I had heard it from two other active Aldermen about that time I believed it—yet I remained questioningly silent (for me anyway).

Over the months, I watched the deportment of the board during regular meetings and the issue of Dianna Wright's fate began quacking like a duck—loudly. Last week August 24th at the regular public Board of Aldermen meeting, I realized it was true and that the end was near for Dianna Wright. How near I wasn't sure but I thought in a couple weeks she would more than likely be displaced. Boy was I wrong! That night they went into executive session after the meeting and I knew the subject would be regarding her termination.

Thursday afternoon, at about 1:30 PM, I was notified that Dianna had been given her walking papers a mere half-hour earlier at 1:00 PM that day. I'm going to have to tell my sources to be just a shade more prompt with news of this magnitude or ask for their resignations. There was no notice given by either the City or Dianna—just poof! That leads me to believe that it was not her choice and that a better option was not had for her. As time progressed, I thought it strange that none of the local publication's reporters knew anything about it and on Friday, A special meeting of the Board was scheduled for Monday August 29th—a full five days after her disappearance from city hall.

The only thing on the August 29th agenda was "Executive Session." It was to be regarding the press release that has now been sent to the various publications that serve the Wentzville area and surely what to do for a new City Administrator. The press release reads in part: "The Wentzville Board of Aldermen held a special meeting on Monday, August 29 to discuss continuity of day-to-day city management and the search for a new city administrator as a result of the sudden departure last Thursday of Dianna Wright as city administrator. City officials cite 'irreconcilable differences' as the reason for Wrights departure..." Until a replacement for Wright is found, Wentzville's Director of Finance and Assistant Administrator, Dennis Walsh, will serve as the interim city administrator." Dennis has served as interim administrator for several departing city administrator's, I don't know why they don't just give him the job and start looking for a new finance director. Seems to me that he could get a modest raise and hire a new finance director at a lower salary than he is currently making, but that's probably too logical for the city to understand.

The details of Dianna's severance provision will be public information probably at the next general board meeting. The press release is usual lawyer jargon and can be interpreted however someone wants to read it. The term "irreconcilable differences" could mean anything; either the board fired her or she got so unhappy with the situation that she walked out. Either way it's not going to be a promotional bell-ringer at her next position. For my money, she got fired. This press release is the same as other city staff terminations in recent years, just the name has been changed.

Personally, I liked Dianna, she was attentive, cooperative (with citizens), and as smart-as-a-whip. It's unfortunate that she and the city didn't blend, but in the end, both must go on. It's a shame that she had to sell her home in Harrisonville and that she'll be moving on from Wentzville to her next assignment where she'll be buying another home. With her credentials, it's not like looking for a job at Wal-Mart. I wish her success where ever she goes. I guess they can scratch one more off of our population signs now to read: 29,069.

No comments:

Post a Comment