Thursday, November 18, 2010

They're off and running!

I really enjoy election time, whether it's National or Local, I follow them all. Most people find politics boring but once you get involved and experience the fight, you're easily hooked. I have no desire to run for office, although I have considered it a time or two and have had folks encourage me too, still I'd rather be on this side of the pen. It takes a special kind of person to want to come under the scrutiny of citizens and the press.

After sitting in council meetings for a number of years, you start to pick up on little nuances that are quite interesting in an otherwise droll situation. With an election not more than five months away, the horses are lining up at the gate. Prospective candidates start showing up at meetings some familiar, some not but the council chambers is a ringside seat for all who attend.

One seat in each ward will be up for re-election; Ward 1 Alderman Cheryl Kross will be seeking her second term and in this writers opinion, she has earned it. It is unknown who will be opposing her at this time. Ward 2 Alderman Peggy Meyer told me that she has not made up her mind yet and is contemplating possible retirement. I saw Lurch, (former ward 2 Alderman Bill Schuette) hanging around chambers recently perhaps looking for his old job back. Anyone having influence with Peggy Meyer needs to beg her to run for office again if for no other reason than to keep Schuette off the City payroll. In Ward 3, Nickolas Guccione will be vying to keep his seat and as with ward 1, it is uncertain who will be running against him. I did see former ward 3 Alderman John Luby at a meeting recently but I don't believe he will go against his good friend Guccione.

By this time next month we'll know for sure who will be seeking election but until then, I'll keep my eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment